Thursday, June 19, 2014

Imagination, Dreams and the Roadmap to Personal Transformation



It was Christmas of 2013.   My husband and I had family over to celebrate the occasion – exchange presents, “break bread” and enjoy each other’s company.

Among several gifts my aunt brought to me, was a small potted Cyclamen, a lovely little plant with delicate off white and pink flowers.  Although I was most grateful for this nice gesture from my aunt, my first thought was “I’m going to kill it!”  I’d tried keeping one of these little gems in the house before but it would invariably die!

For about two weeks, I’d been faithfully nurturing my little potted plant, kept it in a sunny spot of the home, etc, but just like I’d prophesized, the plant was beginning to wither and die – despite my efforts to keep it alive – it had other plans.

A night or two later, I had the strangest dream.  I was walking along a street near my neighborhood (at least it looked somewhat like a familiar street) when all of a sudden I noticed a gardener in what appeared to be a Mobil gas station, landscaping the perimeter of the property.  There he was, meticulously feeding and watering none other than Cyclamen.  I took notice at how absolutely prolific and healthy these flowers were.  This particular variety was a rich pink or fuchsia color with gorgeous waxy leaves.  They were lined around the entire border of the gas station.  I’d not noticed them before. In fact, the lush landscape that surrounded this otherwise ordinary property seemed totally out of context for a gas station, so it clearly got my attention.  

As I am keenly observing the beauty of this sight, I thought to myself, “I wonder if he would be willing to plant my dying Cyclamen plant?”  After all, maybe it needed to be planted in the ground rather than kept in its tiny pot.

With that I woke up!  I didn’t give it much thought, though I was curious as to what significance, if any, this might have for me.

“These are the flowers I saw in the dream!”



Fast forward to February – My husband and I had traveled from the east coast out to Los Angeles so I could cover the annual Conscious Life Expo and do interviews for my radio program, Conscious Inquiry.  During our stay, we managed to steal away and do a little early Valentine’s Day celebration at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.  We had planned a spa day there, but prior to our spa treatments we decided to have a glass of wine by the pool.  While relishing in the beauty of the hotel and the warmth of the day (a far cry from the snow storm we gladly left behind on the east coast), I had the most profound epiphany – while letting out a gasp so pronounced it startled my husband, I said, “These are the flowers I saw in the dream!”  In fact, as the details of the dream began to descend back into memory, I looked around me and noticed that this was the place I’d been dreaming of – poolside at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.  As I scanned the entire perimeter of the outside garden pool area, lined with bountiful fuchsia Cyclamen – that variety which I’d seen exactly in my dream, I felt a shiver of recognition run through my body.  “This is the place,” I said to my husband.  I hadn’t shared the dream with him prior to this, as I never felt the need to do so since at the time I felt it had no significance – until now!

It was only months before, roughly in September that my husband and I suffered greatly due to an abrupt downturn with our business that brought extreme financial strain – a journey that nearly brought me to a state of depression.  Lasting for quite some time, we’d both turned to some unconventional measures to help us through this turbulent period – utilizing “unique” meditation methods, and other modalities including dream sharing and visualization to assist us during this crisis.

Among one of the practices I’d insisted we try was for both of us to commit a few minutes each day, to visualizing a scenario that we’d find pleasurable.  But it wouldn’t be enough to just visualize the scene, we’d have to manage to put ourselves in it – really animate and illuminate it, so that it would become as real as we could possibly imagine.  We both agreed to concentrate on a scene in which we were sitting at an airport gate, awaiting our flight off to somewhere warm and beautiful!  We maintained our commitment to this little “feeling-visualization,” despite the dire circumstances we were in, somehow feeling that if we could imaginarily catapult ourselves out of this crisis, we could pull it’s reality closer to us.  In fact, I write at great length about this excursion to the “Imaginal Realm” – and how we used our dreams, visualizations and synchronicities to shift our reality out of a state of crisis in my new book, Conscious Musings.

I took the cues of the Universe – They came in dreams, in peculiar, beautiful, powerful, and sometimes humorous synchronicities – just enough to keep sane while riding out this storm.”
-From Conscious Musings

In the book, I discuss how synchronicities, if committed to noticing, will show up in the most unlikely of ways and at the most unlikely times, even if they are not noticed until weeks, months or even years later!  But if we can learn to hone our gaze and take notice of the little (and sometimes not so little) winks and nods that the Universe gives, we are sure to be supported in our own transformation, including the transformation out of crisis!

While sitting at the Beverly Wilshire poolside, cocooned by a bounty of gorgeous fuchsia Cyclamen lining the space, I recalled how merely months ago, this scenario would seem nearly impossible.  How would we manage an escape to a warm and sunny place when at the time, making ends meet was top of mind?  And then, I realized – it was our sense of imagination – kicked into high gear that provided our own wink and nod back to the Universe – the vision, the dream that would set the template of manifestation into motion.

Upon remembrance of the dream, the picture that I recalled, the beautifully landscaped garden surrounding a Mobil Gas Station, still puzzled me.  How was it that what I was seeing in the dream was this hotel – identical to what my eyes were scanning around me?  Why was it that this scene included a gas station?  And then it dawned on me – I recalled the familiar “Mobil” sign high above the station.  I suddenly knew the significance.  It’s as if the Universe was re-assuring me: “Despite what you think your fate to be – you will soon be Mobile again – free to travel and see these beautiful places!”

It all made sense! 

As I state in Conscious Musings, as much as we would like to know the significance of a sign (whether in a dream, waking state, or high atop a gas station) at the time that it happens, if we can manage to trust in the brilliance of the Universe, I’ve no doubt that it will meet us half way! 

In this case, not only did it meet us half way, it carried us 3,000 miles away for a little excursion that all started with a dying Cyclamen plant!




Alexis Brooks is the best-selling author of Conscious Musings - Contemplations to Transform Life and Realize Potential and is the host of the popular  Conscious Inquiry Radio program, exclusively presented by Conscious Life News.  Visit Alexis on FacebookTwitter and YouTube!






No comments:

Post a Comment